Trying to decide between a platform bed and a box spring bed? The advantages and disadvantages of each type are important to consider, especially for personal sleeping preferences. The sleeping benefits of a box spring are different from the sleeping benefits of a platform. Keep reading to learn more about the differences between platform and box spring beds.
Advantages of Platform Beds
A platform bed can save owners money because they don’t need to spend money on a box spring. These savings can be used towards the purchase of a higher quality mattress. Any type of mattress can be used on a platform bed, but they are perfect for memory foam mattresses. They provide the flat solid surface that memory foam requires. Slats used for supporting the mattress provide good air circulation and reduce the chances of mold and mildew. The aesthetic value of platform beds adds highly to their appeal. Owners love the low profile and sleek modern design, which makes spaces feel less cramped. Since they are close to the ground, platform beds are very stable. The solid surface provides a firm night’s sleep, which is better for maintaining posture during sleep. Storage drawers that are incorporated into the design provide space saving benefits and help stay organized.
- Not needing a box spring means you can save money.
- Use any type of mattress, from classic coil mattresses to modern furniture.
- Flat solid surface ideal for memory foam mattresses.
- Available in many types of designs, such as traditional, modern, and asian.
- Solid surface gives a firm night’s sleep.
- Storage platform beds increase storage space.
- Air circulation through slats keeps mattress cool.
Disadvantages of Platform Beds
Since they are low to the ground, platform beds may not suit people with knee and back problems. This is an important consideration because getting out of bed can be difficult for people with certain disabilities. On moving day, platform beds are difficult to maneuver around tight corners, stairs, and doorways. They work better with high quality mattresses, which are more expensive. Clutter tossed underneath the beds is easily visible to guests.
- Getting up after sleeping requires more effort because of low height.
- Spend more money on high quality mattress.
- Platform beds are difficult to transport on moving day.
Advantages of Box Spring Beds
Traditional box spring beds are easily distinguished by their height, which is a look that is preferred by some people. Since they are higher off the ground, they can be used for sitting on, like a couch. Box springs prevent the mattress from sagging and support it properly, dispersing body weight evenly across the foundation. They add support and absorb body weight, which extends the life of the mattress. The warm and artful qualities of a traditional box spring is more appealing to certain people over the simplified modern look of platforms. They provide a softer sleeping surface compared to platforms.
- Height makes it easier to slide out of bed without overexertion.
- The box spring absorbs body weight and extends the life of the mattress.
- The support of a box spring prevents the mattress from sagging.
- The warmth and design style of box spring beds is preferred by traditional decor lovers.
Disadvantages of Box Spring Beds
Box spring beds have more costs attached to them, including the box spring, mattress, frame, rails, headboard, and footboard. Box springs can lose their support over time, which is why they need to be turned regularly. If the springs weaken, the mattress can sag and form soft spots. Box springs take up nearly all the space underneath the bed, allowing little space for storage.
- Box springs lose support over time, thus needing to be turned regularly.
- Little to no room for under the bed storage.
- Additional costs attached, including a frame and rails.
Important Questions When Shopping:
- What is the ideal bed height for you?
- Do you prefer or a soft or firm surface to sleep on?
- What kind of aesthetics and design styles do you prefer?
- How and where will the bed need to be transported?
- What type of mattress do you plan to use? Memory foam?
People will spend one third of their lives in bed on average. Therefore, choosing which type of bed to buy is the last thing you want to experience buyer’s remorse from. When deciding on whether to buy platform or box spring, it is important to know the qualities of each. Depending on various factors, such as bed height and mattress support, you will find one type more preferable than the other.
If you are interested in platform beds, we have a wide selection in our online store. We carry different styles, from transitional platform beds to modern platform beds. We also carry a selection of memory foam mattresses to choose from.